Janae Pierre: Welcome to NYC Now, your source for local news in and around New York City, from WNYC. It's Thursday, July 31st. Here's the morning headlines from Michael Hill.
Michael Hill: The NYPD has revealed new details about the man who shot and killed four people in a Midtown Manhattan office building on Monday. WNYC's Charles Lane has more.
Charles Lane: Police say Shane Tamura had prescription antipsychotic medication, ammunition, and a second suicide note in his Las Vegas apartment. They also found a tripod for the rifle used in Monday's attack at the office building, which is home to the National Football League, among other companies. Police say the rifle was sold to him by his supervisor in Las Vegas, who has not been charged. Investigators are now examining Tamura's phone and computer as they search for a motive. Earlier, police said that Tamura's suicide note at the shooting scene suggested that he believed he had CTE. That's a neurodegenerative condition often associated with pro athletes who have sustained head injuries.
Michael Hill: When former NYPD Commissioner Edward Caban resigned last year, federal investigators were probing his alleged involvement in a shakedown of the city's nightlife industry. Now a federal official tells WNYC's Elizabeth Kim that case is now on hold.
Elizabeth Kim: The official says the case into Edward Caban and his twin brother James Caban has been, "deprioritized." The two were reportedly being investigated for allegedly accepting payments from bar and restaurant owners for favorable police treatment. James Caban is a former cop who worked as a nightlife consultant. Both men have denied wrongdoing and their attorneys aren't commenting. The revelation comes amid indications that other federal investigations into Mayor Adams' inner circle appear to have stalled since the mayor's indictment was dismissed.
Michael Hill: Mayor Adams is launching a $3 million effort to reimagine 14th Street in Manhattan. The city is teaming up with local business groups to study upgrades for the busy corridor. Plans could include new landscaping, safer pedestrian spaces, and better bus rider amenities while keeping the street's busway in place. Officials say the goal is to create a world class public space for thousands of daily commuters and visitors. The study will run for two years and pave the way for future construction. We're at 79 with partly sunny skies. Weather flood watch begins this afternoon through midday Friday. Chances of showers and thunderstorms today through mid-afternoon and could produce some heavy rainfall. A high of 83, winds gusting to 21 miles an hour.
[music]
Janae Pierre: Thanks for listening. This is NYC Now from WNYC. Catch us every weekday, three times a day, for your top news headlines and occasional deep dives, and subscribe wherever you get your podcasts. More soon.
Copyright © 2025 New York Public Radio. All rights reserved. Visit our website terms of use at www.wnyc.org for further information.
New York Public Radio transcripts are created on a rush deadline, often by contractors. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Accuracy and availability may vary. The authoritative record of New York Public Radio’s programming is the audio record.